Friday, May 25, 2007

May Daze

It's been a weird month all the way around. Time seems to jump to warp speed when the calendar pages turn to May...but this year, I'm glad to see it gone.

I'm back to battling diabetes again--watching my carbs, testing blood sugars, exercising (walking, jogging) every other day like I should have been doing all along. So far, I've dropped 12 pounds, but I've hit a plateau--must increase water intake. So, that's on my list of priorities for June!

Mother's day was awkward this year. My good friend, mentor, and supervisor for the past 3 1/2 years passed away the Friday before. He had been sick for a long time, but I had no idea how bad it was. Working side by side all this time, you get to know a person pretty well--and their family for that matter. Although I knew he was gravely ill, I just didn't expect him to pass when he did. Truth be known, he was my inspiration for taking better care of myself. I want my kids to have put up with me past my 59th birthday. So, we spent Friday getting everyone notified of Dennis' passing, since the funeral was Saturday, it was all very quick. With the worst day being Monday, of course. There's nothing more heartbreaking than watching a widow and their daughter clean out your supervisor's office of all his personal affects. I'm just grateful he had time to get things in order and didn't suffer unduly. God was definitely watching over and helping the family through this.

Sunday, Mother's Day, I found out my family doctor's wife had died as well. 53. She helped me through some really rough times--mostly convincing me that I didn't have to be all things to all people and SuperMom too. I've always had a lot of respect for her & her husband--they're the kind of couple that inspire you to be better together. I'm going to miss talking to her on a personal level and sharing scrapbooking ideas. She was a wonderful lady.

Tonight, we have family coming in from out of town. I'm heading to Graduation ceremony tonight at our school; the first event to be held in our brand, spankin' new gym. And thank God for that gift--it's still raining!! I'm excited to see it, since we were supposed to have an open house Sunday and couldnt--the floors had to be stripped and refinished because the second coat of finish went on before the first was dry (or something along those lines). So...exciting to see the new facility completed and to see one of our best classes in years round out their high school careers.

We're in the process of remodeling the house--new carpet, tile, paint. Lots of elbow-grease, but it's kind of cool to see everything come together and know you had a hand in making it so nice. Must take pictures and post...

So, with Memorial Day fast approaching, I just thought to check back to see how long it has been since I updated ye ol' blog...boy, I'm a slacker!! I'll have to add that to June's priorities too, I guess! We'll see... :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home